13 April, 2009

Tangy Wilted Spinach Salad


We all know "American" potato salad, right? Potatoes drowned in artery-clogging mayonnaise sauce, with perhaps the token chopped pickel tossed in for variety? I've never liked it much. I've always preferred what I know as "German" potato salad. Rather than mayonnaise, the potatoes are doused with a boiling-hot, highly-seaseoned vinaigrette - creating a delicious, different, and much healthier side dish.

The problem is, I haven't yet had "German" potato salad in Germany. Anything Germans term "salad" tends to suspiciously resemble a tub of mayonaise with bits of meat, egg, or potato thrown in for flavoring. Even my German friends agree with me on this one.

So, when a friend offered to show me her grandmother's "secret potato salad recipe" the other day, it should have been no surprise that Grandma's secret recipe consisted of two tubs of "Meat Salad" (think chopped balogne in mayonaise sauce) mixed with a few kilograms of boiled potatoes. I have to admit, it was tasty, but it left me wishing for a real, "traditional" German potato salad.

Next time I was in the kitchen, I dug up the German potato salad recipe from Joy of Cooking. I wanted the vinaigrette, but I'd had my fill of potatoes for a while. I did, however, have a bunch of spinach in the fridge that needed to get used up. And a couple of hard boiled eggs. I started thinking about a wilted spinach salad, without all the usual bacon grease...





This salad is light, tangy, and quick to prepare - in addition to being chock full of protein and vitamins. I used regular spinach, but you could use baby spinach as well for a lighter flavor. Feel free to experiment with various herbs in the vinaigrette, or try adding a bit of minced garlic for a real kick!

Tangy Wilted Spinach Salad
This recipe would also be delicious with a light dusting of crumbled bacon or turkey bacon in addition to the egg and walnuts. It can be served warm or cold.

Ingredients:
Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup beef, chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. prepared hot mustard (optional)

Salad:
1 bunch well-washed spinach
1 hard boiled egg per serving
Walnuts to garnish

Prepare the vinaigrette:
In a small saucepan, combine the vinaigrette ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Prepare the salad:
While the vinaigrette is heating, tear the spinach leaves into small pieces and put them in a large mixing bowl. Slice or chop the eggs, whatever you find more appealing, and set them aside.

Wilt the spinach:
When the vinaigrette has reached a boil, turn the heat off and let it sit for a few moments. Drizzle about half of the hot vinaigrette over the torn spinach leaves. Toss the spinach quickly to mix, then add the remained of the vinaigrette. Continue tossing until the spinach is completely wilted.

Plate the salad:
Scoop the salad onto individual plates and top with the egg and walnut bits. This makes 2-3 very generous servings.

No comments: